History of the McDonald Ellon Golf Club

1927 - 2016

By Dr Jim Morrison - Captain 1979-1981

 

This is the history of the McDonald Ellon Golf Club, from its inception in 1927 to the present day. During this time the club has grown from the original nine holes, to the full eighteen in the mid 1970s and to having a modern, purpose built clubhouse in the mid 1990s

 

On the playing side the considerable success of its members, at both local and national levels, are recorded in the ‘Roll of Honour’ - achievements of which the club, and indeed the town of Ellon, can be justifiably proud.

 

So let us start on that Wednesday in June 1927, when the McDonald Ellon Golf Club first came into being.

 

 

Chapter 1:  The Opening Ceremony

 

Chapter 2:  Acquisition and development of the land

 

Chapter 3:  The Founding of the Club

 

Chapter 4:  Sir James Gordon McDonald K.G.B. O.B.E.

 

Chapter 5:  The Early Years

 

Chapter 6:  The Management of the golf club

 

Chapter 7:  The War Years 1939-1945

 

Chapter 8:  The 1950s

 

Chapter 9:   The 1960s

 

Chapter 10:  The 1970s

 

Chapter 11:  The New Clubhouse

 

Chapter 12:  The 1980s

 

Chapter 13:  The 1990s

 

Chapter 14:  The McDonald Ellon Golf Club Ladies Section

 

Chapter 15:  The McDonald Ellon Golf Club Seniors Section.

 

Chapter 16:  The McDonald Ellon Junior Section.

 

Chapter 17:  McDonald Ellon Golf Club Roll of Honour

 

Chapter 18:  The Green-keepers

 

Chapter 19:  The Professionals

 

Chapter 20 Conclusion

 

Captains

 

Champions

Course Info

Course Open

Club News

Print Print | Sitemap
© Sandy Aird